Newberry Library

In 1887, the Newberry Library opened for business, funded by a bequest from Chicago businessman Walter L. Newberry for a “free, public” library on the north side of the Chicago River. Since then it has evolved into a leading research library with an extensive collection of rare books, maps, music, and manuscripts. Part of the library’s collection celebrates the history and legacy of Theodore Roosevelt.

Materials in this collection include letters from Theodore Roosevelt to cartoonist John McCutcheon, letters from Edith Roosevelt to author Alice French, and a scrapbook of materials showing how Roosevelt’s memory was preserved immediately after his death and into the 1920s. 

Click here to view items from the collection.