Mount Rushmore National Memorial is located in the Black Hills of South Dakota and was the creation of sculptor Gutzon Borglum. The faces of four presidents - George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln - were carved into the side of the mountain from 1927 to 1941 and represent Borglum’s creative vision of the founding, expansion, preservation and unification of the United States. The dedication of the Theodore Roosevelt portion of the memorial took place in 1939.
This collection has been digitized and cataloged on site at Mount Rushmore by digital library staff. It is our smallest collection to date with less than 100 items. These items, mostly photographs, focus on the sculpting and dedication of the Theodore Roosevelt portion of the memorial. Click here to view items from this collection in the digital library.
Digitization of items at the National Park sites was possible through National Park Service Centennial Challenge funding in partnership with Dickinson State University.